|“||With Great Power, Comes Great Reward||”|
— Norman Osborn to Harry Osborn
|“||Love? Love is a weakness, Spider-Man. Goblin has no weaknesses because Goblin loves no one!||”|
— Green Goblin to Spider-Man
Norman Virgil Osborn
Human (as Norman Osborn)
Genius Level Intellect (as Norman and Goblin)
Super-Villain (as Green Goblin, formerly as Norman Osborn)
CEO of Oscorp
Norman Osborn, currently known as the Iron Patriot and formerly known as The Goblin or Green Goblin, is the head of Oscorp, the father of Harry Osborn, and the former arch-nemesis of Spider-Man. After collecting the Web-Warriors' DNA he became Spider-Goblin. A possible future version was called the Goblin King. He is the main antagonist of Season 1, one of the main antagonists of Season 2 (along with Doctor Octopus), a recurring villain in Season 3: Web-Warriors and a recurring anti-hero in Season 4: Ultimate Spider-Man vs The Sinister 6.
Norman Osborn is the main antagonist of Season 1, with Otto Octavius as the secondary antagonist. Norman's master plan is to obtain Spider-Man's DNA to create a mass-produced Spider-Soldier army throughout the world, however, is unaware that started when Peter Parker was bitten by Oscorp's genetically modified spider. When Otto Octavius informed him of Spider-Man, he stated his reasons for having interest in Spider-Man, planning to market an army of Spider-enhanced super soldiers that he could sale to the highest bidder. Not fond of Nick Fury trying to train him, Octavius asked Norman if he should have the Frightful Four destroy Midtown High but was quickly declined when Norman revealed that his son Harry Osborn went there.
Osborn ordered Octavius to have something to him by the night of Harry's party, refusing to have to wait for months. Norman arrived at his house after the symbiote had seemingly been destroyed, he was glad Harry wasn't hurt and showed gratitude to Spider-Man. After the incident was averted, Norman arrived in Octavius's facility and demanded a newly improved version of the symbiote.
Norman went to see Octavius, he ordered him to give him a reason as to why he had yet to explain why he had summoned him there. Osborn felt annoyed by his son Harry trying to explain to him, that he had became the Black Suit Spidey everyone was talking about, but, Norman stated he did not care unless it was about an improvement in his grades before Harry could get out all of his words. Norman was doing business affairs when Spider-Man and Venom crashed through the window and shattered the glass. Venom expressed anger at Norman for not listening to him as Harry. Norman was called back to Octavius's lab and wrote it off as a waste of his time.
Norman had noticed his son had been acting very rude and disrespectful towards him and asked him to change his tone. Harry transformed into Venom and threw him out of a window. Spider-Man saved him and Norman briefly thanked him before going off with several of his assistants and coworkers. Norman was tracked by his son and thrown against a wall. Despite this, Norman was marveled at his son's symbiote and ordered Octavius to make more like it.
As time went on, Norman grew tired of Octavius's stall for time. He mocked Octavius incompetence to capture Spider-Man, but when Octavius finally captured Spider-Man and brought him to his lair while messaging Osborn, Norman was for once proud of him. However when Osborn ordered Octavius to bring Spider-Man to him, Octavius snapped at him and turned his monitor off. After witnessing Octavius's defeat by Spider-Man, he fired him from Oscorp and exploded his lab, leaving no evidence behind.
Norman later re-hired Octavius and attempted to find Spider-Man's true identity. Osborn conducts a plan to lure Spider-Man to Oscorp. As he reveals his master plans to Spider-Man, Doc Ock betrays Norman by injecting him with a serum mixed with both Spider-Man's and Venom's DNA, resulting in Norman's transformation into a large, green-skinned, goblin-esque monster. At first, he is only a savage beast, intent on destroying everything in his path, including Doc Ock and the S.H.I.E.L.D. Trainees. But the Green Goblin gradually begins to regain intelligence. Now smart yet psychopathic, the Goblin rampages through the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, obtaining his gilder and electric gauntlets from stolen S.H.I.E.L.D. technology and causing both Harry's retransformation into Venom and Curt Connors's injured arm. However, Spider-Man foils the Goblin's attempts to take his son, making Harry shake Venom off to Green Goblin's disappointment. He then sampled the symbiote and left his own son to die on the Helicarrier.
Green Goblin appears as one of the two primary antagonists of Season 2, sharing the role with Doc Ock. Green Goblin now sports a different gilder and more powerful gauntlets while initially trying to find a host for the Venom symbiote. Goblin emerges from hiding with intent of killing Spider-Man. In a short battle, Goblin seemingly succeeds in killing Spidey by collapsing a building on top of the hero. Still unaware of Spider-Man's secret identity, he attacks Peter and Harry while they were talking in a limo. Although Spider-Man's team attempts to protect the two boys, Goblin immobilizes them by trapping them in energy bubbles from his gauntlets. At first, Harry attempts to surrender to his father, believing that Norman is after him. However, Goblin is uninterested in Harry, but rather Peter. He zaps Peter into unconsciousness and brings him to his secret lair.
Strapping Peter to a table, Goblin explains that he believes him to be more of a son to him than Harry, saying that as a wimpy teenager, he will appreciate power. He then injects the boy with an upgraded version of the Symbiote, hoping Peter will become even an better Venom. However, due to Peter's powers as Spider-Man the symbiote's bond is corrupted, transforming him into an even more aggressive and destructive symbiote. Goblin subdues the infected Peter, and due to the destruction he wreaked, Goblin christens the new symbiote Carnage. Having seen that Spider-Man had survived, Goblin ordered Carnage to find the other heroes, kill them and bring him Spider-Man. However, Harry had convinced the symbiote to re-bond with him to save Peter, becoming an even stronger Venom. After Spider-Man convinces Venom to team-up with him, he throws Spider-Man into Goblin's lair, making Goblin believe that Carnage had completed his mission. He is surprised that Harry has become Venom again, and the three of them fight.
Venom is intent on destroying Goblin, and intends to settle the score with Spider-Man afterwards, and Goblin is more than willing to destroy his son. Spider-Man realizes that he can't let Norman and Harry kill each other, and retreats.
He undresses off-screen and approaches the furious Venom in an attempt to appeal to Harry. While Venom is aggressive and hesitant about letting Norman live, believing both him and his father to be monsters, but Peter finally convinces Harry that while symbiote is a monster, he is a good person who still believes in his father. With his resolve restored, Harry finally managed to let the symbiote go for good.
However, Goblin becomes suspicious of Peter's arrival after Spider-Man's departure, making it seem that he has finally figured out Peter's secret identity, only for Spider-Man to miraculously return, although it is actually Iron Fist in disguise to neutralize his suspicions. Before leaving, Goblin takes ahold of Harry, telling him in Norman's voice that he would've still been proud of the person Harry has become, before dropping him and escaping.
Later, S.H.I.E.L.D. caught him at an abandoned warehouse, upgrading his glider tech. Spider-Man and his team were sent to stop him and quickly defeated him. However, Spider-Man notices that is was too easy. He is right as when Goblin was taken prisoner and brought S.H.I.E.L.D. Tricarrier, he had been hiding a tiny capsule under his tongue, spitting it out and releasing another sample of the Venom symbiote. The enhanced symbiote bonded with another sample of the symbiote, making it behave like a virus, bonding to every SHIELD agent on the Tri-Carrier, including Nick Fury. After being freed, Goblin takes control of his Venom army, and allows some of the symbiotes to bond to him, becoming Venom's final host. Spider-Man manages to free Doctor Octopus, and the two decide to work together to create a cure to the symbiote. While Otto works, Spider-Man dons the Iron Spider Armor to combat Goblin/Venom. After completing the Anti-Venom, Spider-Man releases it in gaseous form, spreading across the Tricarrier, and curing all of the agents of the symbiote, including Nick Fury and Goblin. However, the cure not only drives the symbiote off him, but cures Goblin of the Goblin Serum, finally reverting him back to Norman Osborn. After defeating the monstrous Symbiote, and finally destroying it with a massive repulsed discharge
Having recovered fully recovering from his last encounter with Spider-Man and S.H.I.E.L.D., Norman Osborn makes an attempt to reform his life and become a hero of his own right. Taking cues from Captain America and Iron Man, Norman develops his own battle armor and goes by the name "Iron Patriot". After taking down the Frightful Four with Spider-Man's help, the web-head still does not trust Norman's intentions and the two briefly fight. However, the two put their differences aside when Octavius attacks them with Spider-Soldiers, super soldiers based on the Venom symbiote Octavius developed from Osborn's stolen research. Spidey and Norman together put an end to Octavius' plans, earning S.H.I.E.L.D's trust in the process.
An armored Doctor Octopus and Lizard invades Ryker's Island and reassembles The Sinister Six and equips them with his new Octopus-armors. Iron Patriot aggressively assists Spider-Man and the S.H.I.E.L.D. Trainees to stop an armored Sinister Six's prison break. The Sinister Six give Spider-Man a hard time until Iron Patriot and the rest of Spider-Man's team arrives. With one facing off with another, Iron Patriot battles Doctor Octopus's aggravating attempts. Although Spider-Man cures the Lizard, Iron Patriot and the team are defeated by the Sinister Six. Norman tells Doctor Octopus to finish him off but Doctor Octopus reveals that he prefers Norman as the monster he really is. Spidey tries everything to stop Doctor Octopus from turning him back into the Green Goblin but the Lizard keeps distracting him. After Lizard is cured and reverted back to Dr. Connors, Doctor Octopus takes the opportunity to inject Osborn with the spare sample he had of the Goblin Serum, which transforms Osborn once again into the Green Goblin, ruining Osborn's journey of redemption. After reverting back into his villainous ego, Doctor Octopus knocks him down and tells him that he will be destroyed by the Sinister Six but the Green Goblin attacks him by saying that he will be destroyed and defeats him. He then takes down the Rhino and proclaims that no one controls him. Although Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. arrive to recapture the Sinister Six, Osborn gives in to the serum's insanity, and the Green Goblin's personality resurfaces. He goes back to Doctor Octopus. He tells Doctor Octopus that he was wrong and that the Green Goblin was always his master and rips one of his tentacles. Noticing several vials of Goblin Serum that Doctor Octopus had in his armor's tentacles, and noticing Spider-Man's unconscious teammates, Goblin engages in his next scheme, capturing them and escaping aboard a Quintet, mocking Spider-Man by saying he has lost everything.
The Green Goblin takes Power Man, Nova, Iron Fist and White Tiger to the original Helicarrier he had crashed. Injecting the unconscious teen superheroes with the extra Goblin serums, he transforms them into goblin versions of themselves, making them his own teammates, who are loyal to him. He also reactivates the Helicarrier, and suits up with a spare exosuit that was handy. As Spider-Man arrives on the rising Helicarrier, the Green Goblin confronts him by revealing that he turned his teammates into Goblins like him. Spider-Man attacks him by telling him to change them back but Green Goblin knocks him down and tells him that he wants a kingdom. After Spider-Man escapes, Green Goblin tells the team to go after him because he wants him front center to watch his plan. When Spider-Man returns, the Green Goblin reveals his plan to unleash a gaseous cloud of the Goblin serum across the world, transforming everyone in the Tri-State Area into goblins like him, to create a goblin army to conquer the world. After a fight with his team, Green Goblin ambushes him and gets him to watch as he launched gas missiles but is stopped by S.H.I.E.L.D. Spider-Man reveals that he restored his teammates to their former selves and the team eventually defeat the Green Goblin. When the Green Goblin blows the front of the Helicarrier, he tries to get away on a glider, Spider-Man destroys it and his arch-nemesis falls into the Hudson River. He is later held by S.H.I.E.L.D. as everyone is glad to have Dr. Connors back but he tells them that the same can't be said for Norman and that he is more Goblin than human and that it will take a long time for him to reverse the process.
With help from Taskmaster's team, he is freed from his prison unintentionally by Agent Venom and the Iron Spider. While Taskmaster and several Sinister Six members cause chaos, the Goblin steals the Siege Perilous from S.H.I.E.L.D. and escapes through a portal.
Goblin is the main antagonist of the "Spider-Verse" miniseries, the Green Goblin imprisons Electro in the Siege Perilous to act as a living power source so he can travel the Marvel Multiverse to acquire DNA samples from the alternate reality versions of Spider-Man for a 'very special purpose'. With Spider-Man pursuing him, he first arrives to Marvel 2099 to get a blood sample from a futuristic successor to Spider-Man, then a gender-swapped universe where he enlists his female counterpart (based on the original Green Goblin incarnation) to help with Spider-Girl in return for a vial of his Goblin serum for her own use.
He then gets another blood sample from Spyder-Knight. The Goblin finally arrives to another alternate universe where he attempts to get the blood of an alternate Ultimate Spider-Man while finding himself being attacked by his winged, demonic counterpart. During all this, he finally figures out Spider-Man's identity by looking at that world's Spider-Man's gravestone.He then pools all of the alternate Spider-Men DNA into a serum to gain spider-like abilities, engaging in a winning fight with Spider-Man while bragging about knowing the web-slinger's secret identity. The Goblin joyfully threatens Peter's loved ones. When the villain mentions Harry, Peter attempts to appeal to Osborn, trying to deter him from harming his own son, but the deranged Goblin no longer sees himself as Norman, angrily stating that love is a weakness and that he 'loves no one'. Gradually, the serum further mutates him, transforming him into the Man-Spider-like Spider-Goblin. Now even more deranged, the Spider-Goblin battles the Web-Warriors until Spider-Man manages to turn him back to his human form again with Electro's help. Norman is later seen in a retirement home after he lost his memories as Goblin (and Spider-Man's identity), happily greeting Peter and Harry as the two youths come to visit him.
The Green Goblin also appears in the episode "A Nightmare on Christmas". In an alternate reality that Peter wished to give up being Spider-Man to be rich, the Goblin now rules New York with his Spider-Soldier army. At a much bigger and threatening Oscorp tower, Spider-Man encounters a horned, suited version that now calls himself the Goblin King. Having defeated and presumably killed most of the Earth's heroes, he has taken The Avengers' equipment as trophies (i.e. Iron Man's armor, Black Widow's gauntlets, Captain America's shield, Falcon's wings, and even Thor's Mjolnir). After an intense battle, Spider-Man defeats the Goblin King and learned this reality is actually Nightmare's illusion.
Norman Osborn has finally fully recovered and is back to running Oscorp with Harry. In Hydra Attacks, Part 2, Doctor Octopus takes Norman and Harry hostage, with Octavius intending to transform Norman back into the Goblin by injecting him with the Goblin serum in order to make him the leader of his Goblin Soldier army. He does so, but is shocked to learn that Osborn has apparently developed a cure to the Goblin serum, and has vaccinated himself beforehand, therefore making him immune to it. However, Ock then attempts to inject Harry with the serum and make him the next Goblin, but thanks to the efforts of Spider-Man, Iron Spider, Agent Venom and the mysterious Scarlet Spider, both Norman and Harry are saved. Spider-Man asks Norman to provide him with capsules of his vaccine, in order to cure the Goblin Soldiers Ock had enslaved.
Doctor Octopus equips Vulture with special Hydra armor and sends (reluctantly) to kill Norman Osborn in exchange for information containing Vulture's past. The two of them, alongside an Octobot, end up fighting Spider-Man, Kid Arachnid, Norman (in his Iron Patriot armor) and Harry Osborn (as the Patrioteer).
Iron Patriot later deals with Doc Ock's aggravating attempts with Anti-Venom to which Harry gets caught into.
Later it is revealed that Norman was late for the graduation. He helps Spider-Man get his powers back. He reveals to Spider-Man that he knows that he is Peter Parker because his memories of being the Green Goblin have recovered, but still keep his promise son's on never becoming the Goblin. When the Oscorp tower is destroyed, he swears revenge on Doc Ock before fleeing.
Norman Osborn has a calculated mind. He has a extreme distaste for his plans being foiled or executed in a way that is not the way he planned. Norman is very impatient, as shown when Otto Octavius told him he would need a few months to construct a whole army for him, but Norman demanded something by that night. He has also shown as well that he can solve his problems with money as shown when he leaves Harry Osborn by himself with a thousand dollars. He has shown to have greed of power, capturing Spider-Man for several months trying to take his DNA and create an army of spider-enhanced super soldiers, acting like a sociopath.
Right after his mutation, Green Goblin appeared to be a mindless beast. He was barely capable of stringing together a sentence and was wildly violent and destructive with little-to-no signs of his former self, save for a brief hesitation when Spider-Man mentioned his son. Several days after his mutation, the Goblin regained a conscious mind and intelligence, but his personality changed; any good traits that Norman Osborn had were now completely lost and his worst traits were magnified. The Goblin became truly sadistic and depraved and made no effort to hide it, deciding to use his new power to gain control. When he collected the Spider-Men's DNA and find out Spider-Man's secret identity as Peter Parker, he started acting like a psycho no longer seeing himself as Norman and doesn't love no one.
Norman Osborn is a tall Caucasian man. He has red hair and blue eyes. He wears a grey business suit with a white shirt underneath and a red tie.
After being mutated through a modified serum with Spider-Man's DNA, Green Goblin is noticeably larger with his skin turned into green scales, with larger pointy eyes, small green goblin ears, a double chin with horns sticking out and yellow eyes without pupils. He wears a silver armor with a black suit underneath.
Norman's relationship with his son is strained to say the least. This is mostly caused by Norman putting his "work" before spending quality time with Harry and Harry not having the academic skills his father would like him to have. Despite this, both of them actually do love and care for each other.
Otto Octavius/Doctor Octopus
Powers and Abilities
- Goblin Serum Immunity: Due to his genetic modifications, he is absolutely immune to the effects of the goblin serum as well as it's other modified versions.
- Expert Acrobat: He has displayed marvelous athletic prowess with a gliding sport, mainly due to his immense practice while he was the Goblin.
- Genius-Level Intelligence: He has a genius-level intelligence, being able to create high-tech weaponry & even the Iron Patriot Armor & the American Son Armor. He also shows mastery over all sciences & business skills. He also shows remarkable skill in utilizing the Iron Patriot Suit.
- Resources: Due to his position as the founder & head of OsCorp, he has virtually limitless funds, allies, connections, resources, vehicles, gadgetry & advanced technologies.
- Iron Patriot Armor: Ina quest to become a Super-hero, Norman Osborn utilizes a high-tech suit of Armor to gain superhuman capabilities.
- Repulsor Blasts
- Missile Launchers
- High-Powered Pulse Bolts
- Mach 2 Repulsor Boot Jets
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Scanner Systems
- Communication's Links
- Life-Support Systems
- Superhuman Strength: The Goblin has strength on par with (if not slightly above) Power Man.
- Superhuman Durability: The Goblin can take many hits from his enemies with no sign of visible injury.
- Superhuman Agility: Despite his bulky size, The Goblin is very quick, able to fight off Spider-Man's team in enclosed spaces. He is also ability to jump very high.
- Seemingly Immortality: The Goblin has stated that he will never want to go back to be mortal again, thereby highlighting his apparent immortality.
- Voice Mimicry: The Goblin is able to disguise his voice as someone else able to fool anybody.
- Superhuman Strength: Spider-Goblin is able to go one-on-one with the Web-Warriors.
- Superhuman Durability: Spider-Goblin is tremendously resilient, able to brush off the combined assault of the Web-Warriors for long durations.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Spider-Goblin's reaction time is able to quickly interpret a barrage of gun blasts and effectively dodge them.
- Superhuman Agility: His speed and grace defies his size, able to easily outpace Spider-Man even while web-slinging.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Like all the Spider-men, he may also have a low-level rapid healing rate.
- Voice Mimicking: Like the Goblin, he can mimic voices.
- Extra Spider Arms: After further evolving from the Web-Warriors' DNA, Spider-Goblin grew 4 spider-like legs able to pierce through sturdy targets and likewise allow him to climb surfaces.
- Acid Spit: Unlike the Web-Warriors, Spider-Goblin can spit green acid able to instantly dissolve metal.
- Web Shooting: Unlike the Web-Warriors, Spider-Goblin can genetically shoot webs.
- Venom Strike: Like Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Spider-Goblin can electrocute his foes.
- Camouflage:Like Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Spider-Goblin can blend his being to match his surroundings perfectly, essentially making him invisible.
- Retractable Talons: Like Spider-Man Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Goblin can produce powerful claws from his finger tips able to slice through most targets.
- Wall Crawl: Spider-Goblin can climb any surface.
- Spider-Sense: Spider Goblin can sense danger.
- Superhuman Equilibrium: Spider-Goblin can perfectly balance himself.
- Superhuman Strength: Like the Goblin, he has amazing strength.
- Superhuman Durability: Like the Goblin, he can take a lot of hits and not show any signs of exhaustion.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Like the Goblin, he is extremely flexible.
- Superhuman Agility: Like the Goblin, he is agile.
- Seemingly Immortality: The Goblin has stated that he will never want to go back to be mortal again, thereby highlighting his apparent immortality.
- Voice Mimicking: Like the Goblin, he is able to mimic voices.
- Pyrokinesis: Unlike the Goblin, he can shoot fire out of his hands.
- Ability to wield Mjolnir: Through extremely strange events, Goblin King can wield Mjolnir.
- Modified Machinegun
- Electric Glove
- Iron Patriot Armor
- Goblin Glider
- Electric Gloves
- Pumpkin Bombs
- Razor Bats
c - cameo
f - flashback
m - mentioned
n - Nanobot
- Unlike most incarnations, Norman Osborn actually has concern for his son Harry Osborn's safety.
- Norman Osborn had been turned into the Green Goblin twice by Doctor Octopus. However, prior HYDRA and new Sinister Six's invasion on New York began, Norman manage to complete the vaccine on prevent a mutation into a Goblin and inject the cure for himself before the invasion occur, thus failing Doctor Octopus' third attempt.
- Unlike most of incarnations as of Season 4, Norman is fully reformed. Although in Season 2, his reformation was temporarily, prior becoming Goblin again, twice in some of its final episodes.
- Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus are the only villains to find out Spider-Man's secret identity.
- Green Goblin has his own theme music.
- This incarnation of Iron Patriot is truly heroic, as apposed to the original version, which was just a front by Norman to gain public appeal, to cover up his more sinister goals.
Background in other media
- This is Norman Osborn's ninth other media appearance and fifth animated appearance.
- Norman Osborn's choice of weaponry being a machinegun could be a homage of his original counterpart's choice while being part of the Thunderbolts.
- This is Green Goblin's twentieth other media appearance and sixth animated appearance.
- In the comics, Green Goblin was created after a serum explosion while in the series Green Goblin is created after Doctor Octopus injects him with it.
- The Goblin's overall concept is an amalgam of his Ultimate version's Hulk-like form and his original incarnation's intelligence and technology usage.
- Unlike his comic counterpart and previous incarnations, The Goblin's Glider is created by S.H.I.E.L.D. rather than himself.
- He is the second incarnation to be called The Goblin rather than Green Goblin with the first being in Spider-Man Noir though some characters still call him a Green Goblin, but in most cases it seems to be a description rather than his actual title. Promotional materials also tend to refer to him as "The Green Goblin", likely because he is otherwise the same character and the name is more well-known.
- He appears in the Disney INFINITY games as a playable character and figurine.
- This is Iron Patriot's second other media appearance and animated debut.
- Iron Patriot's design resembles the colors used in the Marvel Cinematic Universe rather than the original design's colors.
- Main article: Norman Osborn/Gallery
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Great Power". Paul Dini (writer) & Alex Soto, Tim Eldred (directors). Ultimate Spider-Man. April 1, 2012. No. 1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Venom". Man of Action, James Felder (writers) & Gary Hartle, Jeff Allen (directors). Ultimate Spider-Man. April 15, 2012. No. 4.
- ↑ "Back in Black". Man of Action (writer) & Phil Pignotti (director). Ultimate Spider-Man. May 13, 2012. No. 8.
- ↑ "Venomous". Man of Action (writer) & Phil Pignotti (director). June 24, 2012. No. 11.
- ↑ "Me Time". Man of Action & Jacob Semahn (writer) & Alex Soto (director). July 1, 2012. No. 12.
- ↑ "Carnage". TBA (writers) & TBA (director). March 31, 2013. No. 34.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 "Revealed". Man of Action & Eugene Son (writers) & Alex Soto (director). October 28, 2012. No. 25.