He was a brilliant, but egotistical neurosurgeon, who suffered a terrible car accident, that severely crippled his hands and ended his career. Wasting all his resources in looking for a cure, he met the Ancient One and eventually became the Sorcerer Supreme, after training with the Ancient One. He became enemies with Baron Mordo, around this time. He would later encounter Nightmare as well.
When New York went under a powerful sleeping spell cast by Nightmare, Doctor Strange enlisted the help of Danny Rand, also known as Iron Fist. He questioned Iron Fist's choice in bringing Spider-Man with him. Doctor Strange explained to them that it was the work of Nightmare and claimed that faith had brought Spider-Man to be with them. Strange brought Spider-Man and Iron Fist to the Dream World to stop Nightmare. Doctor Strange fought against Nightmare, his horse Dreamstalker and his army of Dreamons, who overpowered him. For a while, Strange believed that he was too weak against Nightmare and lost his magical powers. He was convinced by Spider-Man that it was just a dream and regained his powers, and with the help of Spider-Man and Iron Fist, they sealed Nightmare in a magic box. After they defeated him, Doctor Strange thanked Iron Fist and Spider-Man and reminded them to go back to Midtown High school before anyone figured out where they had gone.
Spider-Man and Iron Fist get an astral projection of Doctor Strange while visiting K'un-L'un.
Prior to becoming the Sorcerer Supreme, Strange had been a highly egotistical and arrogant neurosurgeon, who only cared about money from his career. However after his fateful car crash and career loss, he began to change, after training under the Ancient One, he became more humble, though at times he was reluctant to let other superheroes aid him. He is also a very focused individual.
Powers and Abilities
- Sorcery: Doctor Strange is a practicing magician who draws his powers from various mystical entities such as Agamotto, Cyttorak, the Faltine, Ikonn, Oshtur, Raggadorr, the Seraphim, and Watoomb, and artifacts including the Cloak of Levitation which enables him to fly, the Eye of Agamotto whose light is used to negate evil magic, the Book of the Vishanti which contains knowledge of white magic, and the Orb of Agamotto which is used as a crystal ball.
- Mystical-Energy Manipulation: He has been seen using mystical energy for a variety of effects, including energy blasts, energy shields, & force-fields.
- Spell Casting: He is able to cast powerful spells for a variety of supernatural effects.
- Telepathy: He was able to read Spider-Man's mind. When Spider-Man asked him to guess what number he was thinking off, Strange claimed that he wasn't thinking of any number, but flapjacks, something which proved Spider-Man wrong.
- Telekinesis: He is able to project telekinetic shields & blasts as well as move objects with his mind.
- Cryokinesis: He was able to use ice magic in order to freeze the mindless ones, when they attacked his mansion.
- Dream Walking: He is the one who taught Iron Fist how to use his magical energy to enter another being's dream.
- Supernatural Perception: Doctor Strange was able to sense Spider-Man's spider senses & confirm that that ability is not due to his artificial mutation, but is rather a supernatural ability.
- Teleportation: He can teleport himself & others across dimensions as well.
- Levitation: He has been seen levitating himself & flying at high speeds.
- Transformation: He even used his powers to change his wardrobe from time to time.
- Superhuman Durability: He was able to combat & take blows from demons such as Nightmare & Dormammu.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: After he was mortally wounded by the Ultimate Goblin, he claimed that once his bones are done realigning, he can get back in the fight, which took no more than a few minutes.
- Cloaking: He was able to disguise his mansion as an abandoned haunted warehouse.
- Genius-Level Intellect: He is also a highly accomplished surgeon, since he was a doctor prior to becoming a sorcerer.
- Magical Artifacts: He has a vide variety of magical artifacts in his mansion, each holds a unique supernatural power.
c - cameo
m - mentioned
Background in other media
- This is Doctor Strange's seventh animated appearance. Previous versions include "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends", "X-Men", "Spider-Man: The Animated Series", "The Incredible Hulk", "The Super Hero Squad Show", "Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme".