Otto Gunther Octavius
Doc Ock, Iron Octopus
Genius-Level Intellect, Mechanical Tentacles, Life-Support Systems, Armored Suit, An army of Nano-Octobots under his mental control.
Doctor Octopus (real name Dr. Otto Octavius) is a scientist that was left crippled in a lab accident. With Norman Osborn's help, he survived his injuries, and worked for Oscorp to capture Spider-Man's powers to use for weapons. He is another one of Spider-Man's arch-enemies. He is the leader of The Sinister Six. He is the secondary antagonist of Season 1, one of the main antagonists of Season 2 with Green Goblin, a recurring villain in Season 3: Web-Warriors, and the main antagonist of Season 4: Ultimate Spider-Man vs The Sinister 6. Doctor Octopus is regarded as one of Spider-Man's worst enemies and archenemy.
Doctor Octopus has a short height and is very pale and also hunchbacked. He has long black wet hair and wears red goggles. He wears a grey scientist suit, around his stomach, along with a mechanical device that enables him to breathe, and four octopus arms attached to it.
Before the accident, Otto Octavius was handsome once.
Later on, his hair grew back and he had his tentacles again, but still has his current goggles.Doctor Octopus is reconfigured into a new life-support armor (resembling his Ends of the Earth design) under Hydra's support.
Doctor Octopus is a mad scientist that experiments with dangerous subjects, as shown when he created the symbiote. Although Doctor Octavius is always in his lab, after his first time of chasing and capturing someone, he enjoyed it and stated that he should have done it more often and that the thrill excites him. Octavius has shown to have no fear of being killed, shown to still chase after Spider-Man even as large amounts of water leaks into his lab. Although being insane, he feels sadness after his accident, which caused him to change physically.Like a real octopus, Doctor Octopus is always hiding in the shadows, concealed in the cracks of his lab.
Early career and accident
Dr. Otto Octavius was friends with Doctor Curt Connors at college, then started working for Oscorp. Doctor Octavius was later involved in a lab accident which caused him breathing problems. Fortunately, Osborn funded technology to let Octavius breath through other ways and Octavius started serving Norman since that day.
Norman Osborn ordered Otto Octavius to capture Spider-Man and to create equipment to sell. Octavius hired the Frightful Four to do the job. He received from Wizard footage of Spider-Man. After the Frightful Four were defeated, he was scolded by Osborn and decided to not fail again.
Octavius sent an Octobot after Spider-Man to get a blood sample from him. Spider-Man crushed the Octobot but a smaller octobot concealed inside escaped with the blood sample. Otto Octavius uses this blood sample to create a symbiote by taking its most dangerous aspects out of it. However, the symbiote escaped and Octavius was childed by Norman. He told Norman that the symbiote went back to Spider-Man. After the symbiote seemingly was destroyed, Norman ordered Octavius to create a stronger version of the symbiote, Otto promised that he would.
Otto knew that Harry Osborn was Venom and kept it a secret from his employer Norman Osborn. But, when Harry transformed into Venom and attacked his father, Octavius claimed to have never known. Osborn was still impressed with the symbiote and wanted Octavius to make more symbiotes like it. Octavius agreed and told Osborn he would need more time. Osborn objected, explaining that time was something he did not have.
Otto Octavius sent out Whirlwind to get some information from Spider-Man. In his lab, he was once again scolded by Norman Osborn for his failures. Octavius told him that he would go capture Spider-Man. Norman sent him mockingly off and shut the communications off. Enraged by Norman, he destroyed the screen and went after Spider-Man. He found Spider-Man at an amusement park. During his fight against Spider-Man, the villain is dubbed "Doctor Octopus" by Spider-Man. Doctor Octopus enjoyed hunting Spider-Man, after getting a shock from his taser by Spider-Man, he threw him in the hall of mirrors. He saw a mirror reminding of his past self, interrupted by Spider-Man's remark, Doctor Octopus finally grabbed and electrocuted Spider-Man into unconsciousness.
Doctor Octopus brought Spider-Man into his underwater lab to dissect. He reported to Norman that he caught Spider-Man. After hearing Norman's mocking, Doctor Octopus decided that he would do it on his own and cuts the communications off. Before Doctor Octopus could dissect Spider-Man, the latter woke up and fought against the former. Doctor Octopus tried to attack Spider-Man, but to no avail as he dodged every attack. After Doctor Octopus failed to hold Spider-Man, Norman let his employee knew that he was fired. The lab blew up leaking the water in. The water level reached the two, Doctor Octopus drowned but was saved by Spider-Man.
Soon, Doctor Octopus returned in an armor similar to that of Iron Man's, with the addition of the mechanical arms. After a two-versus-one brawl with Spider-Man and Iron Man, Iron Octopus is defeated. Unbeknownst to the heroes, he's captured by Norman and "rehired" while restrained and refined to a recuperation tank.
Soon, Doctor Octopus was placed in a green, spherical, and movable version of the recuperating tank and was given new goggles, with his tentacles removed and his head shaved. Doctor Octopus began his run by sending the Frightful Four at Spider-Man once again. However, it was later revealed to be a distraction, one of the Octobots attacking Spider-Man and his team taking him to his new lair. After revealing that Venom came from Spider-Man's DNA, Doctor Octopus became engulfed in his own monologue, providing Spider-Man with enough time to escape. They battled once again, with Osborn then tasing Spider-Man. Doctor Octopus retreated to a new battle suit of squid-like design, and injected Norman with an experimental green serum. Spider-Man's team arrived in the middle of one of Doctor Octopus's monologues and he was forced to confront them as Osborn transformed. He set fire to his own lab in the scuffle, and witnessed his abusive employer's transformation into the Green Goblin. He attached a control collar to Green Goblin so that he would be in full control of him; unfortunately, Green Goblin was able to tear it off and in the process, incapacitated Doctor Octopus's battle suit. He was then thrown around by the creature, his battle suit being continually being smashed by Green Goblin's rage-filled fists. It was here that Green Goblin noticed that the team had retreated, and went after them, leaving Doc Ock for dead.
Season 2Doctor Octopus was revealed to be alive when he was going after his serums in one of his lab and he was foiled by Spider-Man and S.H.I.E.L.D. Later when Dr. Curt Connors transforms into the Lizard and went after him. Doc Ock told Lizard that he transformed into a monster. When Lizard attacks him, he tells Spider-Man that they have to team up to beat him. Right in the middle of the fight, Doc Ock betrays him and escapes leaving Spider-Man with Lizard.
He later recruited Beetle, Electro, Rhino, Kraven the Hunter and Lizard and caused Spider-Man to come to his lab and made him fight the Sinister Six. However, he was defeated when Lizard resisted his control and Spider-Man took out his tentacles. He was then locked away in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s new headquarters along with the remaining Sinister Six members.
Spider-Man then went to Doctor Octopus cell to beg for help in curing Osborn. He refuses but becomes agitated when Spider-Man reveals the Goblin is on the Helicarrier. After the Green Goblin releases the symbiote on everyone, Green Goblin confronts Doc Ock ripping him from his cell. The Goblin tortures Doc Ock, but Spider-Man arrives in his armor and punches him and rescues the Doc. The two fly to create an Anti-Venom, while Osborn bonds with the symbiote himself. They recover Doc Ock's tentacles, much to his joy and begin to create the Anti-Venom, but Doc Ock is shocked by Spider-Man's scientific abilities and calls him a adequate assistant. But the Venom/Goblin burst in and attacks, so Spider-Man battles him while Ock finished the formula. Now twice as powerful Spider-Man in his armor struggles to fight him, but does allow enough time for Doc Ock to create the Formula. However the self destruct timer is about to go off giving them five minutes. The fight leads back to the lab and the formula is released in a blue gas like cloud spreading through the Helicarrier and curing everyone one, but the formula also return Norman back to his human form as Doc ock gets away in an escape pod.
Spider-Man and Norman Osborn in the Iron Patriot Armor battle Octavius who uses a Octobot to project a holographic image of himself. He attacks them with Spider-Soldiers, super soldiers based on the Venom symbiote Octavius developed from Osborn's stolen research. Spidey and Norman together put an end to Octavius' plans, earning the Iron Patriot S.H.I.E.L.D's trust in the process.
An armored Doctor Octopus and Lizard invades Ryker's Island and reassembles the Sinister Six by armoring up Electro, Kraven the Hunter, Rhino, and Scorpion. The Sinister Six give Spider-Man a hard time until Norman Osborn in the Iron Patriot armor and the rest of Spider-Man's team arrives. While Spider-Man fights Lizard, Iron Patriot fights Doctor Octopus while Spider-Man's team fight the other members of the Sinister Six. When the Sinister Six end up combining their attacks to take down Iron Patriot, Doctor Octopus plans to inject Spider-Man with the Goblin Serum. Doctor Octopus then injects Norman Osborn with the Goblin serum while Spider-Man restored Lizard to Dr. Curt Connors. Norman Osborn becomes Green Goblin where he defeats most of the Sinister Six. Though Spider-Man has won against the Sinister Six, Green Goblin gets away with the captive members of Spider-Man's team. After the Sinister Six were defeated, Dr. Curt Connors thanks Spider-Man for saving him.
Loki springs Doctor Octopus from the S.H.I.E.L.D. Tri-Carrier and reconstructs his underwater lab. Upon Loki providing Doctor Octopus with Asgardian armor, they both work together in a plot to recreate the Venom symbiote. Upon Loki abducting Spider-Man from Avengers Tower, Doctor Octopus harvests Spider-Man's DNA and recreates Venom where they use the symbiotes to possess Ulik, Fenris Wolf, and some Frost Giants, Trolls, and Ice Dragons in a plot to take over Manhattan. After the Venom-possessed Asgardian creatures are defeated, liberated from the Venom symbiote, and sent back to Asgard, Doctor Octopus goes on the attack. When Loki starts to treat Doctor Octopus like a henchman, Doctor Octopus attacks Loki only for Loki to make Doctor Octopus' Asgardian armor disappear. Spider-Man catches Doctor Octopus during his mid-fall. After Loki retreats back to Asgard, Doctor Octopus is taken back into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody.
Vulture who turned out to be one of Doctor Octopus's animal serum experiments who had his mind wiped to make room for programming. When Spider-Man took him to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Tri-Carrier to find some answers, Doctor Octopus turned him into the weapon he intended to, but Spider-Man was able to help him overcome it and they defeated Doctor Octopus.
Green Goblin leads several members of the Sinister Six (Doc Ock, the Beetle and the Scorpion) during an attempted prison break on board the S.H.I.E.L.D. Tri-Carrier during a showdown between Taskmaster's team and the New Warriors. The three Sinister Six members were eventually defeated by the amateur New Warriors.
When Nick Fury is taken over by Doctor Octopus's Octobot-themed nanobots to get free from the Triskelion's brig, Ant-Man, Spider-Man and Power Man shrink down to remove the Octobots from Fury's body while the others pursue Doctor Octopus. While fighting their way though nanobots modeled after the Beetle, the Lizard, the Green Goblin and the Scorpion, Ant-Man, Spider-Man and Power Man make their way to the heart to get to Fury's brain. As Ant-Man and Power Man are left busy fighting the nanobots (where some combined into one robot), Spider-Man learns from Fury's conscious that Doctor Octopus has set the Triskelion's reactor to meltdown. Once the nanobots are destroyed, the reactor overload is averted and Doctor Octopus is defeated, Spider-Man and Ant-Man visit Fury in the Triskelion's infirmary where Ant-Man admitted that Spider-Man's recklessness stopped Doctor Octopus's plot.
He is one of the various villains in the last game.
Season 4In the season premire "Hydra Attacks", Spider-Man, Iron Spider, and Agent Venom pursue Doc Ock, and defeat and detain him. However, this is actually part of Ock's plan, as he has a miniture Octobot break into Swarm's cell, and bonds to his nanites, causing him to explode, sending the Octobot nanites all over the Tri-Carrier, transforming it into Hyrda Island. Doctor Octopus is reconfigured into a new life-support armor (resembling his Ends of the Earth design) and reveals that he formed an alliance with Arnim Zola and HYDRA,and has created an army of Goblin Soldiers (Goblin-mutated versions of his Spider-Soldiers). Doc Ock then releases the supervillains aboard the Tri-Carrier (Batroc the Leaper, Boomerang and Kraven the Hunter among them). He informs them he intends to reform the Sinister Six, and offers that the first one to capture Spider-Man will be the first to join. Kraven takes up this offer, and he pursues Spider-Man and his aggressive partner Scarlet Spider. Ock also intends to transform Norman Osborn back into the Green Goblin to lead his Goblin Army, but after Osborn reveals he has inoculated himself with a cure that makes him immune to the serum, he attempts to inject Harry Osborn instead. However, Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider's timely interference saves the Osborns. After the spider-related heroes manage to send Zola and Hydra Island flying into space, Doc Ock escapes and sets out to find the former members of the team to reinstate it.
Doc Ock teams up with Baron Mordo and uses the Siege Perilous to summon the Ultimate Green Goblin to recruit instead. When the demonic Goblin learns of the Siege Perilous' capabilities, he attempts to destroy all of reality with it, but is stopped by Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and Miles Morales, who uses his spider-sting to destroy the Siege Perilous, stranding him and his world's Goblin in the original universe. Doc Ock convince the Ultimate Green Goblin HYDRA wanted to recruit the most powerful villains like him into Sinister Six to destroy Spider-Man and his Web Warriors, not to make him a slave.
Doctor Octopus equips Vulture with special Hydra armor and sends him (reluctantly) to kill Norman Osborn in exchange for information containing Vulture's past. The two of them, alongside an Octobot, end up fighting Spider-Man, Miles Morales (who takes on the name Kid Arachnid), Norman (in his Iron Patriot armor) and Harry Osborn (in the American Son armor). Using Iron Patriot's helmet, Vulture found no records of his past in the Oscorps' files or Doctor Octopus's data files, causing Vulture to attack Doctor Octopus in rage. Wanting to keep Vulture as a weapon and potential recruit for his Sinister Six, Doctor Octopus used his nanites to change Vulture's armor, changing its color from green to black and red and causing him to lose his free will. Before he loses his free will, Vulture tells Spider-Man that Doctor Octopus has a spy in S.H.I.E.L.D. and then takes off.
Rhino is revealed to be a spy for Doctor Octopus, as he was the one to inject Dr. Connors with the Lizard serum and escape with Doctor Octopus with Agent Venom.
Doctor Octopus worked to remove the Venom symbiote from Flash Thompson. Following Kraven the Hunter's defeat and Spider-Man's group escaping, Doctor Octopus plans to cure Rhino of his loyalty problem. During the course of this episode, Arnim Zola was shown to be annoyed with Doctor Octopus' obsession with defeating Spider-Man.
Spider-Man and Iron Spider's pursuit of Vulture takes them to a nearby island where it was discovered that Doctor Octopus has captured Sandman and cloned him from his sand samples in order to find the "Ultimate Sandman" that would join his Sinister Six. When Iron Spider stumbles onto Doctor Octopus' lab, he ends up imprisoned by Doctor Octopus as one of Sandman's clones wears the Iron Spider armor. As Amadeus Cho and Sandman work to get free, Spider-Man fights Doctor Octopus, his Octobots, and the Sandman Clones. Upon Iron Spider uses an electronical disruption to deactivate Doctor Octopus' remote, the Sandman Clones are rendered inert as Sandman reabsorbs them while Doctor Octopus gets away.
Morbius is brought in by Arnim Zola to work with Doctor Octopus as they collaborate on creating the Anti-Venom symbiote. When Spider-Man, Agent Venom, and Harry Osborn in the American Son armor find where Doctor Octopus and Michael Morbius are working, Michael Morbius witnesses Doctor Octopus infect Harry Osborn with the Anti-Venom symbiote. As Agent Venom and Norman Osborn in the Iron Patriot armor fight Anti-Venom and Doctor Octopus, Spider-Man webs up Michael Morbius who tells him about an ion-powered inhibitor that would be used on Anti-Venom. After Spider-Man, Agent Venom, and Iron Patriot get away with Harry Osborn, Doctor Octopus finds Michael Morbius webbed up who states that Spider-Man forced the information out of him. Doctor Octopus states to Michael Morbius that he is always one step ahead.
Powers and Abilities
- Genius-Level Intellect: As a former scientist, Otto Octavius has a genius-level intellect in the fields of sciences, genetics & technologies. He is also a master of manipulation & persuasion, being able to convince the un-negotioable, sociopathic Demonic Goblin, to join his Sinister Six as his "ally". He is also a a genetics, chemistry & DNA specialist, being able to identify that OsCorp technology was utilized in producing Spider-Man. He was also able to manufacture the infamous "Goblin Serum", the Anti-Goblin Serum, Venom & even Scarlet Spider's enhanced spider-based powers. He also displays an aptitude in robotics & mechanical engineering, being able to create technological enhancements for his mercenaries & other Octo-Bots used for combating Spider-Man. He was even able to create a suit of Armor from most of Tony Stark's specs. His most greatest creation used to be his Spider-Soldiers, but now his nano-machines are his greatest achievement to date, which he utilizes for a new set of powers. He has also displayed good skills in tactical analysis & various strategics, although his tactics always have a flaw at times.
- Resources: Doc-Ock always has a vast amount of resources, laboratories, possibly fundings & allies. He now has an even greater arsenal at his disposal thanks to Hydra's assistance.
- Nanotechnosis: As of season 4, Doc Ock used an army of nano-octobots to upgrade his tentacles, armor & breathing harness. He has absolute mental control over his nano-machines. He can even use these nano-machines to gain a new set of powers.
- Tentacles: His tentacles have been enhanced, allowing him better superhuman strength, mobility & durability as well as other various superior weaponry. The claws of Ock's tentacles now have the ability to infect other armors with his Swarm Octobots.
- Armored HYDRA Suit: As of season 4, he utilizes a nanotech upgraded shell, which is extremely durable & has the HYDRA insignia on it. It also has a better improved breathing harness.
- Life-Support Systems: His suit has life-support systems responsible for his nourishment, by providing his body with the essential vitamins, minerals & proteins or any other medications needed for his sustenance & survival. Its main function is supplying air to his damaged respiratory systems & making sure the oxygen is being circulated regularly through his circulatory systems. This also makes up for his paralyzed legs.
- Technological Manipulation: He even utilized his nanites to grant him the ability to mentally control technology, via infecting technological equipment with his nano-machiens.
- Technological Assimilation: His nanites were able to "eat" & "rebuild" the S.H.I.E.L.D. Tri-Carrier into a HYDRA-Carrier.
- Technological Upgrade: He even utilized his nano-machines to enhance the Vulture's armor's capabilities as well as give it a brand new look.
- Self-Repair: The nanobots can be used to rapidly repair damage done to Doc Ock's cybernetic parts. It is unknown if the same "repairing" power applies to Doc Ock's biological organs. He can even utilize such an ability to repair the technological equipment of his allies.
- Mind Control: By infecting someone's armor with his nano-machines, he is able to gain control over their mental faculties & can force them to do his bidding. An example is when he used such a ability on Vulture, when he started to rebel against Doc Ock's wishes.
- Iron Octopus Armor
After the accident, Doctor Octopus injuries had affected his breathing and had to be fitted with a special harness to enable him to breathe. If the holes are blocked, Doctor Octopus can fall unconscious from the lack of air in his lungs. He also is incapable of using his legs for walking.
- Great Power
- Great Responsibility
- Why I Hate the Gym
- Back in Black
- Me Time
- The Iron Octopus
- Rise of the Goblin (mentioned)
- The Lizard
- The Rhino (cameo)
- The Sinister Six
- Venom Bomb
- Second Chance Hero
- Return of the Sinister Six
Season 3: Web-Warriors
- The Avenging Spider-Man Part 1
- The Avenging Spider-Man Part 2
- The Vulture
- New Warriors
- Halloween Night at the Museum (mentioned)
- Contest of Champions: Part 1 (cameo)
- Contest of Champions: Part 2
- Contest of Champions: Part 4
Season 4: Ultimate Spider-Man vs The Sinister 6
- Hydra Attacks, Part 1
- Hydra Attacks, Part 2
- Miles From Home
- Iron Vulture
- Double Agent Venom
- Force of Nature (mentioned)
- This is Doctor Octopus's twenty-fifth other media appearance and sixth animated appearance.
- During Season 3's premiere where Loki and Doctor Octopus team up against Spider-Man, Loki switches bodies with Spider-Man as a part of their master plan. Doc Ock notes that the idea is brilliant and that he's "going to write that down", a nod to the Superior Spider-Man story line where he takes over Spider-Man's life for some time.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 "Me Time". Man of Action & Jacob Semahn (writer) & Alex Soto (director). July 1, 2012. No. 12.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Great Power". Paul Dini (writer) & Alex Soto, Tim Eldred (directors). Ultimate Spider-Man. April 1, 2012. No. 1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Revealed". Man of Action & Eugene Son (writers) & Alex Soto (director). October 28, 2012. No. 25.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "The Lizard". Roy Burdine & Man of Action (writers) & Jacob Semahn (director). January 21, 2013. No. 27.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 "Venom". Man of Action, James Felder (writers) & Gary Hartle, Jeff Allen (directors). Ultimate Spider-Man. April 15, 2012. No. 4.
- ↑ "Great Responsibility". Paul Dini (writer) & Phil Pignotti, Tim Eldred (directors). Ultimate Spider-Man. April 1, 2012. No. 2.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Why I Hate the Gym". Man of Action, Joe Fallon (writers) & Jeff Allen, Gary Hartle (directors). Ultimate Spider-Man. April 29, 2012. No. 6.
- ↑ "Venomous". Man of Action (writer) & Phil Pignotti (director). June 24, 2012. No. 11.
- ↑ "The Iron Octopus". Man of Action & Frank Tieri (writers) & Alex Soto (director). September 30, 2012. No. 22.
- ↑ "The Sinister Six". Man of Action & Scott Mosier (writers) & Tim Maltby (director). February 17, 2013. No. 32.