"I win, Coulson."
- Beetles second line
Sinister Six (formerly)
The Beetle is a skilled villain-for-hire mercenary who uses a suit of hi-tech flying beetle armor to commit crimes. He keeps his true identity a close secret and attempts to destroy anyone who tries to expose it. He was a former member of The Sinister Six.
With an identity that virtually has nil, Beetle helps M.O.D.O.K. escape from prison and made deals with Doctor Doom. He also was former 'sparring partners' with Phil Coulson until the agent took him down.
But he became known when J. Jonah Jameson decides to go public with his identity, Beetle went to the Daily Bugle to silence the director. His actions were put to stop when he encounters Spider-Man and his team who were protecting Jameson. Beetle fought them off, but is eventually defeated by them because of their teamwork. Beetle was then apprehended by S.H.I.E.L.D..
He escaped again and chased down Agent Coulson to a restaurant he was on a date with May Parker at and captured May, but he was defeated with the help of Spider-Man, but escaped when the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier sunk.
After escaping yet again, Beetle joins forces with Doctor Octopus, Electro, Rhino, Kraven the Hunter and Lizard as part of the Sinister Six. He fought Nova but defeated by Iron Fist after teammates to switch Sinister Six opponents.
Beetle is hired by Taskmaster to obtain a sample of the Venom symbiote, leading to a fight with Spider-Man and then Agent Venom. While Spider-Man deals with Taskmaster, Beetle is eventually defeated by Agent Venom.
Beetle is among the escaped supervillains along with Doc Ock, the Scorpion and the Green Goblin during a showdown between Taskmaster's team and the New Warriors. Beetle is eventually defeated by Agent Venom and Cloak and Dagger.
He is one of the recruits for the new Sinister Six.
While his real appearance is entirely covered in his suit, his armor, particularly the face, has the appearance of a beetle. It is coated in primarily silver and a violet or light red with green eyes.
The suit has several rib cages molded on and panels around the legs as well. He seems to be the silent type, as he does not talk at all, except occasionally when complaining about missing his target or even gloating.
Beetle is elusive, stoic and ruthless, throughout the series he rarely ever speaks and when he does its either in surprise or to gloat making him even more enigmatic. As a hired mercenary Beetle's primary concern appears to be money and he always seems to finish through on his deals however he can also be motivated by revenge, as when Spider-Man stopped him from assassinating J. Jonah Jameson, he ambushed and attempted to kill the Spider.
As revelaed in Attack of the Beetle, the Beetle is highly egotistical, when Phil Coulson was the first person to defeat him at sparring, he demanded revenge and destroyed an entire restaurant to get to him and actually kidnapped his date, May Parker. However Beetle wasn't incapable of being part of a team, as when he joined Doctor Octopus' Sinister Six but this was most likely due to a personal goal; to destroy Spider-Man.
Skills & Equipment
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: He is seen going toe-to-toe with Phil Coulson, one of the best combatants in the world, while rivaling his every move.
- Genius Level Intelligence: He was able to create his advanced armor as well as many of his gadgetry.
- Maximum Human Conditioning: Despite him utilizing an armored suit, he has shown to be in top physical condition, in terms of strength, speed, agility, physical functions & senses.
- Guerrilla Warfare: He has shown himself to be a trained guerrilla fighter. During the attack on the Daily Bugle, despite him being a super-mercenary and having the means to overpower all of the heroes in the building, he still resorted to using manipulation & stealth takedowns on the young heroes.
- Beetle Armor: Beetle possesses a armored high-tech suit that resembles a beetle which rivals Iron Man's armor.It have the unusually large amount of fold-out rocket launchers hidden all over the surface of his armor.
- Superhuman Strength: The Beetle has enough superhuman strength to overpower Spider-man and his team. He was able to throw Spider-man though some walls in a restaurante. HE is strong enough to easily break though multiple layers of solid concrete.
- Superhuman Mobility: He is still able to perform acrobatic maneuvers, despite him donning a bulky high-tech armor. His speed is such that he took downs a few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents within a few seconds, even though he was in camouflage mode at the time.
- Superhuman Durability: His armor is incredibly durable. He is impervious to ballistic lazer attacks. He was very resilient to physical attack from Spider-man, due to his armored hyde.
- Weapons Systems: His armored suit has many hidden weapons system, which makes him intimidate any foe he faces.
- Flight: He has a jet-propulsion system on his suit, which he uses for levitation or high speed flying. 
- Camouflage: He has been seen using camouflage mode, while attacking the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in the tricarrier development site as well as used it to aid in his escape. 
- Retractable Blades: He has shown retractable blades, while going toe-to-toe with Phil Coulson. He even has them on his wrists, which he has used many times to attack Spider-man, or cut off his webbing.
- Beetle's Gadgetry: The beetle has hidden pockets around his armor & even a utility belt, which he uses to store his gadgetry & other devices.
- Repairing Tool: He has a special tool, used to repair minor to moderate damages done to his armor, however serious damages cannot be repaired. The repairing takes longer, the more the damage is.
- Smoke Grenades: During his attack on Phil Coulson at dinner, he used a smoke grenade to escape & take Aunt May hostage.
- Mini Mechanical Beetles: These are nano-beetles that can electrocute and release sleeping gas on his foes to knock them into sleep. The Beetle primary used this for guerrilla tactics.
c - cameo
n - Nanobot
Background in other media
- This is first other media appearance and animated debut of this version of Beetle.
- This version of Beetle shares similarities with his Ultimate Marvel version, a Latverian agent who encountered Spider-Man while retrieving the Venom symbiote and the person inside the armor's identity has never been revealed.
- He eventually tries to retrieve Venom only for his technology to be assimilated into Venom.
|Kraven the Hunter • Rhino • Electro • Lizard (unwillingly) • Beetle|
|Sinister Six (tech)|
|Kraven the Hunter • Rhino • Electro • Lizard (unwillingly) • Scorpion|
|Kraven the Hunter • Rhino (unwillingly) • Electro • Ultimate Goblin • Hydro-Man • Scarlet Spider (betrayed)|
|Superior Sinister Six|
|Kraven the Hunter • Rhino (unwillingly) • Scorpion • Vulture (unwillingly) • Crossbones (unwillingly)|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 "Beetle Mania". Man of Action & Scott Mosier (writers) & Alex Soto (director). July 29, 2012. No. 16.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Attack of the Beetle". TBA (writers) & TBA (director). October 14, 2012. No. 24.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Hawkeye". Man of Action & Scott Mosier (writers) & Phil Pignotti (director). February 10, 2013. No. 31.
- ↑ "The Sinister Six". Man of Action & Scott Mosier (writers) & Tim Maltby (director). February 17, 2013. No. 32.